Friday, August 8, 2008


When you put a photo album together years after the photos are shot you lose any sense of sequence. The pictures don't proceed by the logic of time, but rather by the momentary whim of the arranger. The day I organized the photos I did it sometimes by location, sometimes by date, and sometimes by subject. This is also how my memory seems to work, but did I arrange the photos based on the internal organizing principal of my memories, so do my memories organize themselves based on this book?

The next pages are location: New Haven, where I was born, and Michigan where we lived for a year when I was three. The New Haven page shows the dismal returning soldier housing we lived in that scourged the postwar landscape, my father's first car (a Ford; my father built a little model of this car when I was in junior high. I'll bet you anything he still has that model). Baby pictures, beach pictures including the famous "watermelon belly" shot of me at about the age of one.

No comments: