Monday, August 18, 2008


Turn the page and we live in Drexelbrook, which I guess was a rather famous post-war housing complex. (Must have been, as it has a Wikipedia entry.) Whoever put the old album together saved picture after picture of my dad's Rambler parked on Revere Road. I do recall that he really liked that car, but then he was really into all of his cars.

Drexelbrook was apparently a fairly well-known complex. There was a pool where I learned to swim, and a creek behind our house at the bottom of a steep slope. We were not supposed to go down this slope or into or across the creek, but we did anyway, a lot. I don't remember the area in the photo, we used to cross on stepping stones, which I recall as scary and hazardous.

I have a memory of remembering our apartment on Valley Road, where we lived when I was 4. I can't quite bring it into focus, but I remember the apartment on Revere Road quite well. It was two stories, with the stairs directly in front of the front door, Living Room on the right, then dining room, left turn into the kitchen, which let out onto a small concrete porch with 8 or 9 steps that led down to a tiny yard, behind which was a playground. We were the first apartment in a building shaped like a backwards L, at the top of a hill-- to get to the last apartment, you kept going down single steps here and there. If you went left and past the playground there was a hill and a field. I remember being 5 or 6 and having an "accident" (peed my pants); to this day I can conjure the horror of the wetness going down my leg, and remember how hard I cried. I don't remember going home, or if I told my mother what had happened. I can see on Google Maps that this field is now a parking lot with a large commercial building.

At the top of the stairs in the Revere Road apartment a hard right took you into my room, which I recall had a reputation for being really tiny, because it was one of the things my parents promised me when they started looking for a house-- that I would not have the smallest room. I cannot remember my brother's or parents' rooms at all.

No comments: